My name is Dr. Nestoras Karathanasis. I started my journey in science in Alexandroupoli, Greece where I received my bachelor degree in Molecular Biology and Genetics in 2005 from the University of Thrace, Greece. Then I moved to Crete where I received my Master of Science in Molecular Biology and Biomedicine in 2008 from the University of Crete, Greece. I received my Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in “miRNA – mRNA interactions related with cancer”, where I combined both Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics approaches, in 2013 from the University of Crete, Greece. Thereafter, I worked as postdoctoral researcher on the STATegra project, which focused on the development of new statistical methods and tools for the integrative analysis of diverse omics data for a more efficient use of the genomics technologies. In 2015, I moved to San Francisco where I led the bioinformatics department of Miroculus company. Main focus of my work included: a) designing and building a pipeline for the generation of primers and trap sequences to identify miRNAs employing the Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP), b) analyzing, mining and extracting information from public databases such as The Cancer Genome Atlas, exRNA atlas, the Human miRNA Disease Database and the Human miRNA tissue atlas as well as datasets (DNAseq, RNAseq, QPCR) generated by Miroculus for the individual research interests of the company.
- Fernandes, SJ, Morikawa, H, Ewing, E, Ruhrmann, S, Joshi, RN, Lagani, V, Karathanasis, N, Khademi, M, Planell, N, Schmidt, A, Tsamardinos, I, Olsson, T, Piehl, F, Kockum, I, Jagodic, M, Tegnér, J, Gomez-Cabrero, D. Non-parametric combination analysis of multiple data types enables detection of novel regulatory mechanisms in T cells of multiple sclerosis patients. Sci Rep. 2019 Aug 19;9(1):11996. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-48493-7. PubMed PMID:31427643.
- Ewing, E, Kular, L, Fernandes, SJ, Karathanasis, N, Lagani, V, Ruhrmann, S, Tsamardinos, I, Tegner, J, Piehl, F, Gomez-Cabrero, D, Maja Jagodic, M. Combining evidence from four immune cell types identifies DNA methylation patterns that implicate functionally distinct pathways during Multiple Sclerosis progression. EBioMedicine 2019 Apr. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2019.04.042. PubMed PMID:31053557.
- Karathanasis, N, Tsamardinos, I, Lagani, V. omicsNPC: Applying the Non-Parametric Combination Methodology to the Integrative Analysis of Heterogeneous Omics Data. PLoS ONE. 2016;11 (11):e0165545. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0165545. PubMed PMID:27812137 PubMed Central PMC5094732.
- Karathanasis, N, Tsamardinos, I, Poirazi, P. MiRduplexSVM: A High-Performing MiRNA-Duplex Prediction and Evaluation Methodology. PLoS ONE. 2015;10 (5):e0126151. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0126151. PubMed PMID:25961860 PubMed Central PMC4427487.
- Oulas, A, Karathanasis, N, Louloupi, A, Pavlopoulos, GA, Poirazi, P, Kalantidis, K, Iliopoulos, I. Prediction of miRNA targets. Methods Mol. Biol. 2015;1269 :207-29. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-2291-8_13. PubMed PMID:25577381.
- Ho, VM, Dallalzadeh, LO, Karathanasis, N, Keles, MF, Vangala, S, Grogan, T, Poirazi, P, Martin, KC. GluA2 mRNA distribution and regulation by miR-124 in hippocampal neurons. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 2014;61 :1-12. doi: 10.1016/j.mcn.2014.04.006. PubMed PMID:24784359 PubMed Central PMC4134974.
- Karathanasis, N, Tsamardinos, I, Poirazi, P. Don"t use a cannon to kill the. miRNA mosquito. Bioinformatics. 2014;30 (7):1047-8. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btu100. PubMed PMID:24618472.
- Oulas, A, Karathanasis, N, Louloupi, A, Iliopoulos, I, Kalantidis, K, Poirazi, P. A new microRNA target prediction tool identifies a novel interaction of a putative miRNA with CCND2. RNA Biol. 2012;9 (9):1196-207. doi: 10.4161/rna.21725. PubMed PMID:22954617 PubMed Central PMC3579887.
- Oulas, A, Karathanasis, N, Louloupi, A, Poirazi, P. Finding cancer-associated miRNAs: methods and tools. Mol. Biotechnol. 2011;49 (1):97-107. doi: 10.1007/s12033-011-9416-4. PubMed PMID:21607762.
- Oulas, A, Karathanasis, N, Poirazi, P. Computational identification of miRNAs involved in cancer. Methods Mol. Biol. 2011;676 :23-41. doi: 10.1007/978-1-60761-863-8_2. PubMed PMID:20931387.
- "Detection of RNA using ligation actuated loop mediated amplification methods and digital microfluidics" U.S. Provisional Patent Application No.: 62/352,503 June 20, 2016