Assistant Professor in Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Computational Medicine Center at TJU
Dr. Kirino is Assistant Professor (Principal Investigator) in Computational Medicine Center and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Thomas Jefferson University (TJU) where he joined in mid-2013. The overall research goal of his lab is to understand biogenesis and molecular function of small regulatory RNAs, and use the knowledge for the development of novel biomarkers and therapeutic applications in diseases. Small regulatory RNAs have emerged recently as one of the most novel and exciting areas of gene expression regulation. By taking advantage of RNA biochemistry and molecular/cellular biology, the Kirino lab is particularly focused on PIWI-interacting RNAs (piRNAs), the most recently discovered small regulatory RNAs expressed in the germline. The Kirino lab has also been tackling tRNA researches to develop novel biomarkers and therapeutic applications for cancers and mitochondrial diseases. Prior to joining TJU, Dr. Kirino was Assistant Professor in Department of Biomedical Sciences at Cedars Sinai Medical Center (2010-2013) where he started his independent academic career. Together with his Postdoc period in Dr. Zissimos Mourelatos’ lab at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2006-2010), his studies in the piRNA pathway discovered both RNA and protein modifications that play important roles in piRNA biogenesis and function. Dr. Kirino received his BSc (2001), MSc (2003) and PhD (2006) from The University of Tokyo, Japan. In Dr. Tsutomu Suzuki’s lab, he investigated molecular pathogenesis of mitochondrial diseases caused by tRNA modification disorder.
- Sakai, H, Kirino, Y, Kastuma, S, Aoki, F, Suzuki, MG. Morphological and histomorphological structures of testes and ovaries in early developmental stages of the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Journal of Insect Biotechnology and Sericology 2016; 85: 15-20
- Honda, S, Kirino, Y. SHOT-RNAs: a novel class of tRNA-derived functional RNAs expressed in hormone-dependent cancers. Molecular & Cellular Oncology. 2015;3:2. doi: 10.1080/23723556.2015.1079672.
- Shigematsu, M, Honda, S, Kirino, Y (2014) "Transfer RNA as a Source of Small Functional RNA"J Mol Biol & Mol Imaging 1(2): 8 doi: Download
- Honda, S and Kirino, Y (2013) “PIWIL1 (piwi-like RNA-mediated gene silencing 1)” Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. 17(12):833-836. doi: Genes/PIWIL1ID46561ch12q24
- Kirino, Y. and Suzuki, T (2005) "MELAS A3243G mutation and tRNA modification disorder" Rinsyoukensa 49: 89-95